Moving permanently to a new country is usually one of the most important decisions a person can make. If you are interested in immigrating to Canada, there are over 60 different immigration programs available for you to choose from. Immigration laws are constantly changing and retaining the right immigration professional who understands your needs and situation can be one of the wisest investments you have ever made.

Temporary Resident

  • LMIA
  • Post-Graduation Work Permit
  • Study Permit
  • Super Visa
  • Visitor Visa
  • Spouse Work Permit

Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

If you have a job offer in Canada and want to get a work permit, the LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) route may be the way to proceed.

A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker.

A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker or permanent resident is available to do the job.

LMIA applications are detailed and require lots of documentation and statistical tabulation. Examples include a numerical breakdown of the number of Canadian applicants for the position, the number of offers of employment made, and the number of unqualified applicants. Employers must provide a written description of why each un-hired Canadian was not qualified for the job. Not all work permit types require a LMIA to be issued; work permit streams that are LMIA-exempt come under the International Mobility Program.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

Skilled Canadian work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill level A or B that is gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class within Express Entry.

Study Permit

This is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.

Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If we approve your study permit, we’ll issue one to you with your study permit.

You can study in Canada if you:

  • are enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • prove you have enough money to pay for your: tuition fees
  • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada obey the law, have no criminal record. You may need to provide a police certificate are in good health. You may need to complete a medical exam prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires

Super Visa

Super visa you visit your children or grandchildren for up to 2 years at a time. It’s a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years.

Visitor Visa

If you are traveling to Canada by air you likely require either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Your requirements depend on your country of citizenship.

What is a Visitor Visa?

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa or Canada Tourist visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).

Types of Visitor Visa

  • Visit/Tourism
  • Study
  • Work
  • Super Visa

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

If you’re travelling from a visa-exempt country, you’ll require an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to enter. You can quickly and easily apply for an eTA online for a cost of only CAD$7. While eTAs are often granted in a matter of minutes, it can take several days, so you should always apply ahead of time.

There are specific travelers who don’t need an eTA.

Spouse Work Permit

Spouses of certain foreign workers and international students in Canada can apply for an open work permit. They can work for any Canadian employer in any job as long as the main eligibility requirements are met and their significant ones retain worker or student status.

The spouse/partner can apply for a work permit before or after they arrive in Canada. The work permit will usually be issued for the same length of time as their spouse’s work permit or study permit. They do not need a job offer to apply for a work permit.

In some cases, Canadian visa offices abroad will process spouse/partner work permit applications at the same time as study permit applications. In this case, you will need to include the additional fee for the work permit and complete the work permit application for your spouse/partner.

Most spouse/partners come to Canada as visitors first and apply for a work permit after they are in Canada. If your spouse or partner does not require a Temporary Resident Visa, they might be able to apply for a work permit at the border or airport where they enter Canada.